Tuesday 31 January 2012

Wolf People; Diagrams; Nat Baldwin; Bonnie Prince Billy; Jonathan Wilson


So, already I'm falling a little behind with the blog.  This is not a good start to 2012!  However, a couple of the gigs I've seen this January have been so fabulous I'd be amazed if one or both isn't still in my top 10 gigs of the year come December.

I don't want to lose track of anything, so have decided to do a series of posts combining entries for shows, and bringing together some of my erstwhile gig companion @thelawes' excellent photos and videos.



Wolf People @ The Garage (17/01)  This might sound a bit odd (and sexist), but I'm always glad to see an audience consisting mainly of men aged 30+, many of whom have come on their own.  They'll be into the music, there'll be no chat, and it'll be dead easy to get to the bar and to the loo.  Wolf People clearly must be some kind of 'man's band' but I think they're far too talented to be left all to the boys.  I love the new record, Steeple, and was impressed with the harder edge the material had live. There was a lot of chemistry between the musicians, which meant a fantastic atmosphere both on and off the stage, and the encore (when flute player Ross Harris came on stage for vigorous versions of  "Tiny Circle" and "Runter") was a great way to end the proceedings on a high.
 
Diagrams @ The Lexington (18/01)  The first support slot was filled by Fairewell (basically Johnny White) who was possibly the most awkward person I have ever seen on stage  (I love the birthday cake vid, but even setting up his equipment seemed a bit of an ordeal until the other musicians appeared). However, despite their seeming inexperience Fairewell had an interesting sound and plenty of potential.  They were certainly more interesting than the second band, Patterns (great name to support Diagrams at least) who were a bit polished and derivative, and seemed self-consciously 'going places'.  Diagrams were good, but I have to say I was little underwhelmed; my companions had seen him do an excellent festival set at last year's EOTR, complete with balloons, and I could see him coming across better in that sort of setting.  I really do like the new Black Light album though.




A very special mention has to go to Nat Baldwin @ Cargo (23/01) who was jaw-droppingly perfect.  One man and his double bass, Nat came out onto the stage alone and somewhat shy-seeming, to a small crowd who were at first respectful and then totally rapt.  As soon as the first song began the delicacy of his voice and the peculiarity and emotion of the music had me entranced.  It was only a short set sadly, ending with his beautiful cover of "A Little Lost" - I think long sets over the tour would mean repetitive strain injury!  Nat was so sweet and self-effacing too - when we spoke to him at the end to say how fantastic the show was, he seemed genuinely touched and mentioned in passing he was in a band called the Dirty Projectors - err, yes we know!  



Could the week get any better?  Well, yes, actually, it could.  If I see a greater show than Bonnie Prince Billy @ Hackney Empire (25/01) I can't imagine it right now.  It's actually quite hard to put into words, but I can remember it really vividly so I'll just let the pictures do the talking.  My first time in the Hackney Empire as well.  I thought its slightly faded and quirky grandeur provided the perfect backdrop, the Bonnie Prince treading the stage where many music hall stars (and bingo callers) have stolen the limelight before.







The last gig of January was Jonathan Wilson @ Scala (31/01).  Jonathan has been touring a lot over the past year, but I'd only ever seen one headline show (at the Borderline when Jackson Browne showed up!) His support slot with Wilco at the Roundhouse passed me by somewhat.

Before Jonathan and his band appeared, the stage was adorned with joss sticks (presumably for that early 70s hippy vibe) and Jonathan certainly looks the part.  I don't want to go on too much about the obvious comparisons because I think the strength of his songwriting sets him apart (and I don't want to condone the idiot who shouted out for 'A Horse with No Name'!) but the similarities have got him an interesting following, including some adoring older ladies who he seemed slightly bemused by.  Still shy on stage, Jonathan seemed uncomfortable in the breaks.  The songs themselves were beautiful, right from the opener "Can We Really Party Today?" and the band he played with were fantastic.  Their presence meant he could let go a bit more than in a purely acoustic set, and there were some brilliant extended jams which brought out the psychedelic rock element of some of his material.  It would be good to see a bit more of that side of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment